Many people suffer from illnesses and physical conditions that are deemed incurable by experts in traditional medicine, even though alternative medical methods, such as integrative medicine could efficiently treat them – when these people first hear of what is one of the most efficient modern, holistic approaches today, the first question they ask is usually this: but what is integrative medicine? Here is a short outline of the approach and a short list with the conditions it can treat.
The Approach Used
Integrative medicine is a healing-oriented treatment method. During the diagnostic period and in the treatment phase as well, the doctor of integrative medicine takes into account not only the symptoms experienced by the patient, but the patient’s medical and family history, their living circumstances, their general attitude toward life and many other personal aspects. In short, integrative medicine treats the whole person and looks for the root causes that led to the appearance of the symptoms.
The Principles of Integrative Medicine
Unlike the relationship between doctor and patient in traditional medicine, the patient-doctor relationship in the integrative treatment process is more like a partnership. The diagnostic and the treatment phase take into consideration not only the body, but the spirit, the soul, the mind of the patient as well and information is collected about the community and the circumstances that the patient lives in.
When selecting the best course of treatment, the doctor of integrative medicine uses a combination of the solutions offered by conventional medicine as well as alternative healing methods that activate the body’s innate capacities of self-healing. The treatment process does not stop when the initial symptoms are eliminated – integrative medicine lays special emphasis on disease prevention as well, so the patient is educated in issues related to health promotion and healthy lifestyle as well.
The Illnesses that Can Be Successfully Treated by Integrative Medicine
Integrative medicine is nowadays successfully used in the treatment of numerous illnesses and physical conditions, being especially efficient in the treatment of chronic conditions – here is a short list:
- Adult ADHD – the treatment approach combines mind-body treatments and psychiatric solutions,
- Anxiety, depression, panic attacks and phobias – meditation and massage therapy are combined with conventional treatment options,
- Asthma – treatment options include combinations of acupuncture and massage,
- Fibromyalgia – a condition that is treated by conventional medicine only at the level of the symptoms and the root causes of which are usually successfully identified and treated by integrative medicine,
- Problems of the digestive tract, including irritable bowel syndrome and Crohn’s disease,
- Symptoms caused by chronic inflammations in the body, such as rheumatoid arthritis,
- Bone and joint problems, such as tennis elbow, bursitis, sciatica, carpal tunnel syndrome and osteoarthritis.
Denver integrative medicine is practiced by experts who are trained and qualified to provide conventional medical treatment as well as alternative treatments. If you suffer from a chronic disease or from symptoms the causes of which have not been elucidated yet, schedule an appointment at one of the integrative treatment centers in your area. During your consultation, you will not only find the answer to the question what is integrative medicine, but you will also see one of the most modern medical approaches available today at work.